People typically travel to Harpers Ferry for the history and charming vacation rental homes. The historic town offers many fascinating remnants of its Civil War roots, including earthworks, cannons, and battle sites.
Yet what travelers don’t often realize is that for all its rich history, Harpers Ferry also happens to be an amazing foodie haunt. In fact, Harpers Ferry restaurants are so good that you may actually need to plan your next visit around them.
While “foodie paradise” isn’t typically what one associates with a charming town known primarily for its exquisite views of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers, this mountainous getaway continues to surprise gastronomes with its diverse selection of eateries catering to all appetites, even for those that would rather eat in. Book a private chef to come to your cabin rental and you can get great food without even needing to put on your shoes.
For those that do want to enjoy the town and a meal, here are a few spots to consider if you’re venturing to this beautiful part of West Virginia.
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100069663770902
- Address: 125-129 Potomac St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 11 am – 5 pm daily
If it’s classic American food you crave, you’ll find plenty to satisfy at the Cannonball Deli. This simple little spot is beloved by locals for everything from its hand-dipped ice cream to its homemade burgers and desserts.
You’ll also find plenty of other classics on the menu, including hearty subs and hefty servings of pasta. There’s a compact spot to dine outside if you prefer, while the simple interior is a good spot for a post-hike breather.
- Website: https://www.country-cafe.com/
- Address: 1723 W Washington St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 8.30 am – 2.30 pm Wednesday to Sunday
The family-owned and -operated Country Café is known for its homestyle cooking. Serving up standard American comfort food, the restaurant is small but charming. Owners Lynn and Mark McDonough take pride in creating a space that’s cozy and welcoming, with local artwork adorning the walls and neutral tones that cast a homey vibe.
Pull up a seat and grab the special of the day, or take your pick from one of the many favorites on the menu. From omelets to cheeseburgers to BLTs, they’ve got it all.
- Website: https://rabbitholewv.com/
- Address: 186 High St., Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 12 pm – 8 pm Monday to Thursday / 11 am – 9 pm Friday to Sunday
Cozy and vibrant, The Rabbit Hole Gastropub is a buzzy spot popular for its diverse menu. Favorites include the house specialty loaded pork fries, the vegan hummus, and the heartiest burgers in town—think a half-pound Blue Ridge burger, a grilled chicken burger topped with mashed avocado and roasted peppers, and a vegetarian-friendly portobello mushroom sandwich loaded with all the fixings. There are some great gluten-free options on the menu, too.
Dine outside on the terrace or grab a seat at the bar for a comfortable lunch or dinner. You’ll quickly see why the gastropub is such a crowd-pleasing favorite among locals and tourists alike.
- Website: https://www.hillbrookinn.com/charles-town-wv-restaurant.html
- Address: 4490 Summit Point Rd. Charles Town, WV 25414
- Opening hours: See website for booking times and requirements
Located only a quick 10-minute drive from Harpers Ferry, Charles Town is home to one of the most romantic restaurants in the area. The Hillbrook Inn Restaurant is part of The Hillbrook Inn & Spa but is open to non-guests reserving a table for dinner. From the exterior to the interior this cozy historic cottage oozes charm and romance. To top it off, the food served here is fantastic.
For a fine dining experience while on vacation in Harpers Ferry, we highly recommend you book a table at The Hillbrook Inn Restaurant. Do note that they require business casual attire for those dining there.
- Website: https://www.whitehorsetavernhf.com/
- Address: 4328 William L. Wilson Fwy., Harpers Ferry, WV
- Opening hours: 12 pm – 10 pm Sunday to Thursday / 12 pm – 11 pm Friday & Saturday
Situated at the front of the Clarion Inn, the White Horse Tavern is a sporty-meets-woodsy spot perfect for a light bite or a heartier meal. The earth-toned space even has a few slot machines on site, plus occasional live music and several big-screen TVs so you can catch the big game while you dine on good food including BBQ bacon burgers, loaded chicken sandwiches, and wings.
You’ll feel immediately at home in this cozy space where you can even make your own burgers if you’re feeling creative.
- Website: https://kelleyfarmkitchen.com/
- Address: 1112 W. Washington St. Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 11 am – 8 pm Thursday to Saturday / 12 pm – 4 pm Sunday
As the first vegan restaurant in West Virginia, Kelley Farm Kitchen is well worthy of the buzz that surrounds it. Open from Thursday through Sunday, the eatery’s menu is packed with 100% vegan dishes. Grab a vegan hot dog, sit down with a “Philly cheesesteak,” snack on a “tuna” sandwich, or dig into some vegetarian chili.
They also serve breakfast all day long, so if the craving for a midday omelet strikes you know exactly where to go. What’s extra special here are the nature views that surround you. Have a seat outside beneath the canopy of trees, or head for the grass and enjoy a lazy picnic lunch instead.
- Website: https://thetownsinn.com/
- Address: 175-179 High Street, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: Contact for dining hours and reservations
Did someone say “cozy”? You’ll feel right at home when you step through the doors of the cafe in The Town’s Inn. The accommodations in this stone lodge here are downright homey, offering everything from exquisite river views to awe-inspiring mountain views. In the midst of it all is the self-serve Country Cafe, featuring quaint touches like wood accents and a fireplace.
Dine inside or outside on the patio—they even offer custom picnics in backpacks or baskets so you can take your meal along on an easy hike. You’ll find everything from authentic homemade ice cream to simple Italian favorites like lasagna and pepperoni rolls.
- Website: https://harpersferrybrewing.com/
- Address: 37412 Adventure Center Ln., Purcellville, VA 20132
- Opening hours: 12 pm – 7 pm Monday & Thursday / 12 pm – 9 pm Friday & Saturday / 12 pm – 8 pm Sunday
What’s on top? Craft brews galore if you visit Harpers Ferry Brewing, one of the many fantastic breweries in the area. It’s just about five minutes by car from Harpers Ferry itself, and it’s perfect for a memorable dining excursion. Both child- and pet-friendly (leashed, of course), the establishment offers a menu of mouthwatering favorites, including pizza, along with plenty of regular events to keep you coming back for more.
There’s live music most of the year, for example, plus healthy activities like outdoor yoga. Trivia night? A taco truck? Check and check. Come for the beer, stay for everything else.
- Website: https://harpers-ferry-ice-cream-shoppe.business.site/
- Address: 408 Alstadts Hill Road, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 12 pm – 7 pm Saturday / 12 pm – 5 pm Sunday
All that hiking can definitely take it out of you—which is why it’s nice to have a spot like the Harpers Ferry Ice Cream Shoppe available to satiate those undeniable cravings for a cool treat.
They open their doors every spring just in time for the warm weather, and they’re proud to offer a menu of tasty favorites. Find Garber’s ice cream, cookie sandwiches, sundaes, milkshakes, and so much more. What a great way to cool down.
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/almostheavenpubandgrill/
- Address: 177 Potomac St., Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 11 am – 5 pm Monday to Thursday / 11 am – 8 pm Saturday & Sunday
Situated in a building dating from 1836, the delightful Almost Heaven Pub and Grill offers standard American cuisine in a laid-back atmosphere. The menu is all about the tried-and-true favorites, like Bavarian pretzels, fresh salads, Reuben sandwiches, BLTs, tacos, fish and chips, crab cakes, and fried shrimp, to name a few.
If you’re thirsty, a zesty margarita should hit the spot. There’s nothing like it when you need to unwind—and you can enjoy the views from their outdoor dining area if you prefer.
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/battlegroundsbakery
- Address: 180 High St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 8 am – 4 pm Monday to Friday / 8 am – 5 pm Saturday & Sunday
The family-owned and -operated Battle Grounds Bakery & Coffee is the place to stop if you’re craving a cup of delicious coffee and an easy breakfast. Situated in Harpers Ferry National Park, the establishment offers a mouthwatering array of pastries, fresh-baked bread, ice cream, French pastries, and smoothies.
Need something more substantial? Grab a sandwich—all are named in honor of the area. There’s the Confluence, referring to the juncture where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet. There’s the Harper’s Ferry Rifle and Jefferson’s Grilled Cheese. The options are endless (and delicious).
- Website: https://www.bolivarbread.com/
- Address: 914 Washington St., Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 8 am – 4 pm Wednesday to Friday / 8 am – 5 pm Saturday & Sunday
Do yourself a big favor and stop by Bolivar Bread Bakery before you leave Harpers Ferry. The woman-owned artisan bakery crafts some of the most exquisite, freshly baked breads in the region—and with just a glance at anything that comes from this kitchen, you’ll quickly realize that this isn’t an understatement.
There are gloriously hearty pretzels, lush focaccia, delightful pesto sourdough, challah bread, and so much more. If you’re headed out of town, grab yourself a loaf or two before you go.
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/people/Coach-House-Grill-n-Bar/100057136968054
- Address: 160 High St, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 11 am – 7.30 pm Sunday to Thursday / 11 am – 8 pm Friday & Saturday
If you want to go where everybody knows your name, the Coach House Grill n’ Bar is the place to be. There’s a familiarity about this welcoming establishment that invites you right in—even if you’ve never set foot inside before.
Treat yourself to an appetizer—baked brie and spinach dip are area favorites—before digging into an entrée, whether it’s a hearty turkey and brie wrap or a classic cheeseburger.
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/hfcreamycreations
- Address: 173 Potomac St., Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 11 am – 8 pm Monday to Friday / 11 am – 7.30 pm Saturday / 11 am – 9 pm Sunday
Never underestimate the power of some truly good ice cream. Creamy Creations is just plain fun to visit, whether you’ve spent the day on the water or are exhausted after an epic hike. If you can’t pick a flavor, these kind folks will happily allow you to sample what’s on the menu.
You’ll be back again and again, whether you’re in the mood for a cooling snow cone, a hearty milkshake, or a custom sundae topped with anything from sprinkles to peanut butter cups.
- Website: http://www.guidehousegrill.com/
- Address: 19112 Keep Tryst Rd., Knoxville, MD 2175
- Opening hours: 12 pm – 8 pm Wednesday to Saturday / 12 pm – 7 pm Sunday
Just seven minutes from Harpers Ferry is the Guide House Grill. Just under half a mile from the C&O Canal Trail, it offers a great option for classic American fare when the craving hits—or if you want to grab some takeout before heading back to your hotel or hitting the road.
Good stuff is what they’re all about, from their fresh seafood and their flavorful wings to their lavish cocktails and their craft beers. If you’re in town on Thursday evening, stop by for open mic night and enjoy bar snacks and fantastic happy hour deals.
- Website: https://www.yataihibachi.com/
- Address: 36 Bakerton Road, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 11 am – 8 pm Wednesday to Saturday / 12 pm – 7 pm Sunday
Authentic and affordable are the two hallmarks that set the Yatai Hibachi Food Trailer apart. If you’ve got a craving for Japanese food, head straight to this Asian-inspired trailer. The no-frills spot is known for its house-made teriyaki and white yum-yum sauces—and its great prices.
Snap up six vegetable spring rolls for just a few dollars. Hibachi entrees include fried rice, mixed vegetables, and white sauce. There are also hearty (and economical) sushi burritos if you’ve got a big appetite.
- Website: https://tworiverstacos.com/
- Address: 408 Alstadts Hill Road, Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 12 pm – 7 pm Saturday & Sunday
You’re craving tacos. You’re near Harpers Ferry. Where to go? Two Rivers Taco has you covered in every way. This affordable Mexican food truck offers everything you need to satiate your appetite, whether you’re thinking chicken, pork, beef, or vegetables.
There are also nachos, quesadillas, taco salads, and some tasty extras—all for just a few dollars. You’ll walk away with a takeout meal that’s more than satisfying.
- Website: https://www.snallygasterscafe.com/
- Address: 102 Washington St, Bolivar, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 4 pm – 9 pm Thursday / 9 am – 9 pm Friday to Monday
A chic and cozy space perfect for a little rest and relaxation with your family or friends, Snallygasters Cafe and Wine Bar offers an extensive menu of craft cocktails and brews.
The eatery’s brunch board is a favorite if you’ve got a craving for some light bites, but there’s also heartier fare on the menu to keep you going after a long day of water adventures and hiking. A simple snack and some wine often hit the spot—but don’t be surprised if you find yourself settling in to enjoy the easy ambiance for a while.
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/hfcoffeemill/
- Address: 140 Potomac St., Harpers Ferry, WV 25425
- Opening hours: 10 am – 9.45 pm daily
But first (and last), coffee. To call The Coffee Mill “cozy” is a bit of an understatement. It’s among the most quaint and appealing spots to sit and relax in Harpers Ferry.
They’ve got the good stuff, of course, like some of the best espresso in town—but they’re also home to plenty of tasty meal offerings, like chicken salad sandwiches, hot dogs, chicken tenders, apple pie, cinnamon buns, and cookies galore. Whether you take advantage of their outdoor seating, grab something for takeout, or sit inside, odds are you’ll appreciate the down-home ambiance here.
Come for the Adventures, Stay for the Food
You’ve explored the Appalachian Trail. You’ve planned your excursions to nearby Washington DC and Baltimore. You’ve immersed yourself in the area’s rich and humbling Civil War history. You’re already planning your next hike.
You’ve got visions of climbing and canoeing and mountain biking going through your mind on a loop—interspersed with all of those exquisite nature views, of course.
Whether you’re in the historic town for outdoor adventures or simply to see what all the excitement is about, you won’t want to miss these dining establishments that will fuel you for the next big thing on your list.
In Harpers Ferry, there will always be something fun and exciting to explore. Alongside epic cabin rentals, great food is a big part of the experience!